Dear Bates School Families 11/25/19
At the Bates School, we continue to focus on growing our understanding and use of culturally responsive teaching. We recognize that Thanksgiving season has often been a customary celebration in our country. However, as we dig deeper into the true history of Thanksgiving, we recognize a need to teach openly and honestly about this land’s history, including that of our indigenous Native American brothers and sisters, many of whom consider Thanksgiving to be a Day of Mourning. November is also Native American Heritage Month. To respect and honor Native American culture, we share some resources that can be useful for us as we celebrate Thanksgiving in an inclusive way.
- Decolonizing Thanksgiving- Article with resource from Medium
- Members from the Society for American Archaeology’s Thanksgiving Initiative have prepared a list of resources
For children of all ages, I hope we will:
- Investigate the “myths” of Thanksgiving at Plymouth and discuss what we actually know from the perspective of the colonists and the Wampanoag.
- Emphasize that Native people are still here and are not just part of history. When discussing lifeways of Native people in the past, also talk about ways the colonists lived and how both peoples were different from today.
- Explain to students that Native groups are all different. Research where you live. Whose territory do you live on today? What are the names of these groups in their own language? Where do they live now? Shift your unit focus to celebrations of gratitude and harvest.
These resources have also been shared amongst bates school staff. As lifelong learners, we at the Bates strive and commit to providing inclusive and culturally responsive instruction for all of our students.
- Handy person/volunteer that can help install a closet rod, potentially support with other facilities projects
Book Fair 12/3-12/5
Teachers will bring students to the fair during school hours, and we will host evening hours until 7:30 pm on Wed, Dec 4 for families that wish to shop before or during the Parent Council meeting. Please reach out to parent coordinator Kristen Bonstein at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the book fair.
School choice time is here! If you know any families interested in the Bates, our school preview days are on 12/13/2019 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM and 1/13/2020 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Additionally, there is a Citywide Showcase of Schools. Saturday, December 14, Boston Latin Academy.
The Bates has a variety of winter jackets in various kid’s sizes for families in need. Please contact Adam Prisby email@example.com, 617-635-8064.
|EARLY DISMISSAL||11/27/2019||Dismissal at 1:40 PM|
|Bates Book Fair||12/2/2019-12/6/2019||During the school day, until 7:30 pm on Wed, Dec 4 for families that wish to shop before or during the Parent Council meeting|
|Family & School Site Council Meeting||12/4/2019||5:30-7:30 p.m.|
With gratitude, joy, and excitement:
Rodolfo Morales, Principal