Dear Families, 10/2/17
Thank you for your support in ensuring a successful first month of school. It is hard to believe that we are already well into our second month of school. Each day, I continue to witness students exemplifying our Core Values:
- Last week a fifth grader showed respect and kindness by helping organize our reading nook in the foyer without being asked.
- Kindergarteners (K0-K2) have been working on what it means to be safe always when walking down the hallways or when using classroom materials.
- In 2nd grade, students demonstrated excellent work by using manipulatives like cubes and drawings to show their addition work.
Our students will continue practicing these habits and will continue to get better and better at their demonstration.
Many events took place throughout this week as well:
- 1st grade has started their guided reading groups with their teachers.
- 3rd-5th grade started learning about new instruments through Making Music Matters.
- 3rd grade also enjoyed a field trip to Fenway Park!
- 4th grade received new comfortable furniture for independent reading and work time.
- 5th graders were able to perform some readers theater using new vocabulary words and acting out scenes from Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.
I’ve also seen the community come together during these recent events that have rocked parts of our nation including the various hurricanes. Some homerooms are working to support places like Puerto Rico through fundraising. Students have also shared ways their families are working to support one another. For example, we were able to donate books to a family that is sending materials to schools in Puerto Rico. In another room, a student wore red in solidarity with the people affected by hurricane Maria. Families have checked in on one another and continue to support with kind words.
Below are a few updates:
Families in 3-5th have received letters about Terra-Nova testing taking place this week. Another copy of these letters have been sent today to families of 3-4th grade. Please review the letter and sign if you wish for your child not to take the test.
Boston Bikes will be in the school for the next two weeks. Boston Bikes helps students from grades 2 to 12 learn bicycle safety through lessons, practice, and having fun. Those students whose parents have signed waivers will be participating over the next two weeks.
Thank you to all the families that came together with the Conley School to view the Roslindale Parade. We had about 30 families altogether cheering and representing the Bates/Conley. It was great to see so many families come together and enjoy the beautiful Sunday weather.
YMCA/ Before and After School Program
We still have seats available for our before and after school program. If you are interested in having your child attend before and/or after school, please contact Amber at ACarroll@ymcaboston.org.
Rodolfo Morales, Principal